2019 Fruit Plant Sale – Order Deadline March 29th 2019
Six different varieties of 2-year-old blueberry plants will be sold in 1 gallon containers. You can should plant two to three different varieties for increased production.
Strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, grape, and asparagus plants will be sold as bare root plants, which means they do not come potted in soil. This is an effective way to start new plants early in the season and allows the plant to be sold at a lower cost. The root system will need to be kept moist and should be planted as soon as possible. Due to this, we are unable to guarantee the quality of the plants after the pickup date.
To make an order:
- Order forms and plant descriptions are available at our office and also attached to this article.
- Orders must be placed and prepaid no later than Friday March 29th.
- Apple trees were custom grafted for us in the summer of 2017, so are available in limited quantities on a first come, first served basis, sometimes making it necessary to ask you if you will take a substitution.
- Orders can be dropped off at or mailed to our office, located at 971 W. King St, Boone, 28607. Checks should be made payable to Watauga NCCES.
- Pickup of your pre-ordered plants will be on Friday, April 12th from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, April 13th from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. See the links below for the order form and plant descriptions.
Fact sheets to learn more about each crop
Apple Growing Information: Apple Fact Sheet 2019
Blackberry Growing Information: https://rubus.ces.ncsu.edu/rubus-home-gardeners/
Blueberry Growing Information: https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/extension-gardener-handbook/14-small-fruits – section_heading_8163
Raspberry Growing Information: https://rubus.ces.ncsu.edu/rubus-home-gardeners/
Grape Growing Information: https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/bunch-grapes-in-the-home-garden
Strawberry Growing Information: https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/extension-gardener-handbook/14-small-fruits#section_heading_8162
Asparagus Growing Information: https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/asparagus