2020 Pesticide Applicators and Landscape Contractors Recertification Classes
UPDATE: ALL CLASSES SCHEDULED THROUGH APRIL 2020 HAVE BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19 CONCERNS. CHECK BACK FOR FUTURE TBD DATES AND UPDATES.
The Watauga office of North Carolina Cooperative Extension will offer the following pesticide recertification classes in 2020 at the Watauga Agricultural Conference Center, located at 252 Poplar Grove Road in Boone:
- March 17th from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., 2 hours of private applicator V credits; class repeats from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. for 2 hours V. Instructor: Eddy Labus, Livestock Agent and Pesticide Coordinator.
- March 26th from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., 2 hours of L,N,O,D, and private applicator X credits. Instructor: Paige Patterson, Horticulture Agent. Topic: Root Rot Diseases in Landscapes, Christmas Trees and other Crops – Learn how to identify symptoms, strategies for prevention and chemical and cultural management strategies.
- April 2nd from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m., 2 hours of H,G,L,N,O,D and X private applicator credits. Topic: Managing Invasive Plants of Landscapes, Forests and Pastures. There is a hands-on continuation of the class from 3:00 – 4:30 p.m.. This event is sponsored by the High Country Restoration Coalition: a group that has formed to educate the public about invasive species and work to find funding and organize events to fight invasive plants in the high country. Members include Watauga Cooperative Extension, Blue Ridge RC & D, Blue Ridge Conservancy, New River Conservancy, Mountain True, Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation, NC Forest Service, Shetterly Conservation Consulting and others.
- June 4th from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., 2 hours of L,N,D, and private applicator X credits. Instructor: Paige Patterson, Horticulture Agent. Topic: Preventing and Managing Summer Pests in the Landscape – Learn to identify symptoms, identify insects, and understand cultural and chemical treatments for insects that will likely show up in landscapes this summer. Part classroom, part hands-on activity with samples.
- August 18th from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., 2 hours private applicator V credits and from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., 2 hours L,N,O,D and private applicator X credits. Instructor: Eddy Labus, Livestock Agent and Pesticide Coordinator.
Registration is not required for these pesticide recertification trainings, but you may call our office at (828) 264-3061 with any questions.
**Save the Date: Thursday, October 15th, 2020 for Professional Landscape Day
- 7 hours of landscape contractors continuing education credits, including 2 business credits. This will satisfy the 2020-2021 cycle credits.
- 3 pesticide applicator recertification credits and 2 arborist credits will also be available.
- Vendors, lunch, hands-on demonstration
- Schedule and location will be announced at a later date
- Registration will be required for this event. To be added to our email list to receive information and the registration link when available, see our constant contact email and click on ‘Join Our Email List’ or email email@example.com