What to Do With Delicata Squash?
Join Extension Agent Margie Mansure and self-proclaimed “food fan” Eric Stafford for this 17 minute video demonstrating a bisque and roasted squash.
Here we are in October, and winter squashes of all shapes and sizes are coming in. A favorite for cooking is the Delicata, simply because of its sweet taste and how easy it is to prepare. Its thin skin makes it so much easier to peel than other winter squashes, and for some recipes, you can leave it on. Since delicatas are smaller than most winter squashes, they’re a perfect portion for one or two.
Like other orange and dark green pigmented vegetables, Delicatas are an incredible source of the antioxidant beta-carotene. Eating more antioxidants from foods provides many health benefits, including lowering your risk of heart disease and cancer.
You may substitute other types of winter squash in these recipes, with the exception of spaghetti squash.
The cashew cream in this bisque adds hardiness and so much flavor. Also is acceptable for vegans.
Delicata Squash Bisque
Makes 4 large bowls, 6-8 Cups
- 3 pounds delicata squash (2 large or 3 small)
- Oil or non-stick spray for roasting
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup unsalted cashews (use raw unless you have a strong food processor)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Peel squash and cut off the ends. Halve the squash lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Spray with non-stick spray or brush lightly with oil and place on a baking sheet, cut-side down. Bake for 12 minutes, then turn over and cook until tender and beginning to brown, another 12 minutes or so.
- To make cashew cream, add cashews to blender or food processor with ½ cup of veggie broth. Begin pulsing to incorporate, eventually turning the blender all the way on while slowly adding the other ½ cup or so of broth. Let blender run for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Set cream aside.
- Transfer squash into a large soup pot, breaking into chunks. Add 4 cups of veggie broth, thyme, and black pepper as desired. Bring to boil, turn down the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Blend the soup in batches until smooth. Or use a hand-held blender.
- Return the blended soup to pot and add all but ¼ cup of the cashew cream. Taste and season with salt and more pepper if desired.
- Garnish in bowls with extra cashew cream drizzled on the top.
Roasted Delicata Squash
- Delicata squash, scrubbed clean
- Vegetable oil or non-stick spray
- Seasonings you love, such as curry, chili, Italian seasoning, or cinnamon
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut ends off of squash, then cut in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Cut into ¼” half-moons.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray or coat with vegetable oil. Place your half-moons on the sheet and spray or brush with oil on the top. Sprinkle with the seasoning of choice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 10 minutes or so until bottoms are golden, then flip and roast for another 10 minutes.