How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole and Cranberry Relish
Join Extension Agent Margie Mansure and “Food Fan” Eric Stafford for this 25-minute video as they make important side-dishes for Thanksgiving.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium or about 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces.
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 ounces lite coconut milk
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl, stirring to form a streusel. Set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes until very tender. Drain well. Place back in pot and mash. Stir in half the streusel, honey, vanilla extract, and coconut milk. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray and top with remaining streusel. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Makes 8 – 10 servings.
- 1 medium orange
- 2 cups port or other sweet red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- Remove the rind from the orange, making sure not to get the white pithy part.
- Combine orange rind, port, bay leaf and cloves in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes of so, until reduced to 1 cup. Strain the mixture through a sieve over a bowl.
- Return the strained mixture to the saucepan and stir in the sugar. Add cranberries and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the cranberries pop, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a bowl and cool. Makes 2 cups.