Chicken Pot Pie With Phyllo Crust for Comfort
If you are craving some winter comfort food, try this recipe in honor of National Heart Month. Join Extension Agent Margie Mansure and Caldwell Community College Culinary Instructor Chef Robert Back for this 28-minute video for step-by-step instructions.
Chicken Pot Pie with Phyllo Crust
Makes 2, 9” pot pies
- 1 each Whole Chicken, giblets and neck removed (need half of chicken meat, shredded or diced)
- 8 cups Water
- 2 cups Potato, peeled and diced
- ½ cups Vegetable oil
- ½ cups Flour
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 2, 16 oz bags Vegetable Blend, frozen
- 2 teaspoons Sage, rubbed
- to taste Salt and pepper
- 1 box Sheet Phyllo Dough
- ½ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
- Thoroughly wash the whole chicken and place in pot with the water. Place on stove and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 60-90 minutes, until fully cooked, when it reaches 165 degrees. You may do this ahead of time and cool. Only need ½ of chicken meat for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once chicken is done, remove from broth and reserve 4 cups of the broth. Shred the chicken. Place the 4 cups broth in saucepan with potatoes and cook over medium heat until potatoes are just tender. Drain potatoes and reserve broth.
- In a separate saucepan, place the oil over medium heat. Add the flour to make roux, stirring over medium heat 2-3 minutes. Add diced onion and continue to cook until they are tender. Pour in the 4 cups chicken broth that was used to cook potatoes and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add chicken, vegetables, and potatoes to the thickened broth, along with the sage. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add ½ of the chicken, shredded or diced.
- Spray two deep-dish pie pans with nonstick spray. In your lightly greased pie pans, layer 5 sheets of phyllo in the bottom, topping each sheet with small amount of panko crumbs. Pour in half of the Pot Pie filling (must be cooled). Top with the other 5 sheets of Phyllo, sprinkling each sheet with panko crumbs. Brush top layer with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until crust is golden brown.