Spring Greens Goat Cheese and Sausage Pasta Cook-Along With Locally Produced Foods!
Did you know that April is
Greening My Plate Month?
The perfect time to decide how you will support our local food economy this season. To celebrate, Extension Agent and Culinarian Margie Mansure will lead a cook-along, followed by a panel discussion about “Why can’t/why don’t people eat local food?”
Be sure to sign up for this free event, which is at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28, 2021. This is High Country Food Hub pick-up day, so remember to pick up your order in time to thaw out the sausage and get the other groceries ready to go.
Spring Greens Goat Cheese and Sausage (optional) Pasta
- Fresh or dried pasta (depending on appetite, 2 – 3 ounces dried or 3 to 4 ounces fresh per person) 12 ounces fresh pasta for four
- Optional: 10 – 12 ounces sausage of choice, browned (I’m using ground Italian and have also tried lean Italian chicken sausage)
- 4 ounces dry white wine
- 3- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 – 12 ounces fresh spinach or other greens of choice, coarsely chopped
- 5 – 6 green onions, sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese (favorite flavor, for me jalapeno pimento) or feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- In a large pot, place water over high heat to boil for pasta. Add a little salt and bring to a full boil. Cook chosen pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage chosen over medium heat. Will need a little oil to brown if using the chicken sausage.
- Take the sausage out of the skillet and turn heat down to low.
- Add the white wine to the hot skillet, stirring to deglaze the pan. Cook for a couple of minute to reduce. Add the olive oil.
- If heartier greens are chosen add first to the skillet, stirring frequently for several minutes, then add green onion. If spinach is chosen, add at the same time as the green onions. Cook until wilted.
- Add the drained pasta and chosen cheese and continue cooking for another minute, until it begins to melt. Taste before seasoning with desired amount of salt and ground pepper and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Available at High Country Food Hub:
- 3 large per person servings fresh pasta
- 10 – 12 ounces favorite sausage
- 10 – 12 ounces fresh spinach or other cooking greens
- 5 – 6 green onions
- 4 ounces favorite goat cheese